About Me

North Central College graduate, BA in Social Sciences, Peace Corps ESL Volunteer placed in Rwanda.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

music

I missed music so much.


I still only have my music from artists A-C, but combining that with music stolen from Jen, my heart is happy again.

Jack Johnson sooths my soul. A Fine Frenzy heals my heart and tells me that it’s ok to be hurt by exes. Death Cab for Cutie really Does sound a little like Owl City, which makes me smile about this summer. Singing along to Rent energizes me and reminds me of some of the best years with my best friends.

“without you I was broken, but I’d rather be broke down with you by my side” (sorry, random inserted lyric here – I felt it, so I felt like quoting it.)

Bing Crosby’s croons gently substitute for the rocking chair that florida ruined, and mom and dad replaced right before I left.



I know I’ve ranted about Ragtime before, but now that I only have the 8 songs that didn’t get loaded from the previous transfer, I appreciate even more what the entire compilation should be. I ache to hear the other chords that first tugged on my heartstrings, but now that I can play the entire show in my head, I almost don’t want to do anything else.

The lyrics are sweet, but without the score they can sound saccharine
I never heard no music quite like yours
where'd you learn how to play it that way

you tell stories like your hands play tunes

the stars are silver notes across the sky
daddy played piano, played it very well
music from those hands could catch you like a spell
he could make you love him 'fore the tune was done

your sword can be a sermon or the power of the pen
teach every child to raise his voice and then my brothers,
then will justice be demanded by ten million righteous men

and there was distant music
changing the tune
changing the tide

skipping a beat
singing a dream
a strange insistent music
putting out heat
picking up steam
and there was music playing
catching a nation in its prime

it was the music of something beginning
an era exploding
a century spinning


they speak so clearly to how I feel about almost all music, and certainly Good music. When fittingly accompanied by complex soaring counterparts and appropriate dissonance; lilting rhythms and driving beats; sobbing strings, crowing horns, and piano notes that kiss you gently; you get a glimpse of the synchronicity that God must have originally intended for all creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment