About Me

North Central College graduate, BA in Social Sciences, Peace Corps ESL Volunteer placed in Rwanda.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

yarn ahoy!

so I FINALLY have my crochet hooks - YAY!!!
in the last 3 days that i have been at home and had all my equipment, I have learned the single stitch, the half-double stitch, the double stitch, the triple stitch, stitching in the round, and the slip stitch. 
I have made Penny pot holders, and I'm working on a scarf for Char.
my only issue is that the yarn I have is pretty standard, cheap stuff, and pretty large weave. it catches on itself really easily and isn't very soft for making anything wearable. I'm excited to practice on it, but can't do much outside of really itchy scarves. 
does anyone have any recommendations for brands or material I should be working with?

ps.  I was really excited by this website
http://www.yarn.com/

if I were in the states, I may have just found my new excess money drain.

2 comments:

  1. Charissa, I am very excited about this new blog. I think it will be a good use of your time. Whatever you can do to entertain yourself. I'M SO EXCITED FOR MY POT HOLDERS! I'm learning how to cross stitch (we'll be old women in the Peace Corps and tough virginal panthers when we return) so I'll make you some lovely wall decorations. xoxo penny we

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brand I Love This Yarn is almost always a good basic option. It's acrylic, so nothing special, but it's soft and washable and works up well.

    ReplyDelete